Tuesday, 15 November 2011

Reflection...

By creating this blog and contributing to its contents, I have gained new knowledge that would be beneficial to my future. I learned that readers do not read only the printed words on a page but they also read the visual presentation of the text (Reep, 2006). To create an effective document, the words and visuals will have to support each other. I also learned that as the writing practices change with time, the interplay between verbal and the visual changes too. Portrayal of meaning no longer stops at just texts. Information value, salience and framing are the three significant systems that has to be paid close attention to when bringing the various elements of a page together to create a coherent and meaningful whole (Kress and van Leeuwen, 1998). A blogger must not focus only on designing and creating an ethical article; he should also be sensitive to the culture of a nation.

As an ending note, I wish to thank my lecturer, Miss Jenny for constantly being patient with me throughout this semester. Her guidance leads me to the completion of this assignment.

Thank you.

Adelaine



Reference

Kress, G & van Leeuwen, T 1998, ‘Front pages: (the critical) analysis of newspaper layout’, in Bell, A & Garrett, P (eds), Approaches to Media Discourse, Blackwell, Oxford, pp.186-219.

Reep, DC 2006, ‘Document Design’, Technical Writing, Pearson/Longman, New York, pp. 133-172.

No comments:

Post a Comment